Permanent Exhibition

The first permanent exhibition was installed in 1980 in the building of the Municipal Office. In its three halls on the second floor, three larger sections were created according to the concept of Ernest Zmeták and Ladislav Saučina. They included: old European art, Slovak and Czech art of the 19th and 20th century and Hungarian art of the 19th and 20th century. The period of more than twenty years of temporary conditions was over in 2002, when the director of the gallery, Magdaléna Klobučníková, obtained the building of the former Trade Bureau (1937). A new exposition was opened in its redesigned rooms in 2004. The current exposition follows the structure of the former expositions, while it keeps an open approach, emphasizing its „collector character“. It represents a selection from qualitatively well-defined collector activity of Ernest Zmeták and Danica Zmetáková. It shifts emphasis on European art of the 18th century, the core of which is represented by works of Baroque artists (Giovanni Battista Piazetta, Francesco Tironi, Paul Troger, Johann Jäger, Jacob Kohl). Its most coherent section is represented by Hungarian art of the 19th and 20th century with more major works of classics (Miklós Barabás, Antal Ligeti, János Kmetty, Vilmos Aba-Novák, István Szőnyi, József Egry, Aurél Bernáth). A remarkable series is represented by Slovak art of the 19th and 20th century, in which works of many significant personalities of domestic fine art culture are presented (Ladislav Mednyászky, Martin Benka, Anton Jaszusch, Miloš Alexander Bazovský, Janko Alexy, Ján Mudroch, Cyprián Majerník, Milan Paštéka, Milan Laluha). In the 80's of the 20th century, Ernest Zmeták regularly contributed to the collection with new works. The last painting he donated was a work by Ľudovít Hološka in 1994.